This region has something for everyone: the vineyards of the Waipara Valley, the laid back spa town of Hamner Springs to the North, the rugged beauty of Arthur’s Pass National park to the East, the countless bays and inlets in the French-influenced Banks Peninsula to the West or perhaps the unforgettable presence of Aoraki Mount Cook to the South.
At its heart is Christchurch, a city bouncing back to life after recent earthquakes devastated the town. As the long process of regeneration continues, innovative shops, businesses and buildings are popping up everywhere and are testament to the local’s resilience.
- Catch the TranzAlpine express train to Arthur’s Pass
- Spot sperm Whales in Kaikoura
- Explore Christchurch’s Cardboard Cathedral
- Hike in the Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park
- Visit the Church of the Good Shepherd in Lake Tekapo