The Pacific Highway linking two of the East Cape’s largest towns, Opotiki and Gisborne, is the ultimate New Zealand road trip. The pace is slow, the coastline rugged and isolation is easy to find. Highlights on the road are the impossibly long Tolaga Bay wharf, majestic Mount Hikurangi, the beautiful Tikitiki church and the East Cape Lighthouse. Be sure to take advantage of the freedom camping opportunities along the way.
Once you’ve driven the Cape, head inland to Te Urewera national park and magical Lake Waikaremoana.
- Be the first person in the world to see the sunrise at East Cape lighthouse
- Sip world class chardonnay in Gisborne
- Hire a surf board and surf like a local
- Go hiking at Lake Waikaremoana
- Drive the Pacific Highway