Sunshine and wine rule the roost in this part of the country The region produces a mouth-watering selection of New Zealand reds, with plenty of options for cellar door visits, most of which are accessible by bike. No winery visit is complete without sampling some the region’s delicious local produce.
The Hawkes Bay, and Napier in particular, is New Zealand’s Art Deco capital, a result of the powerful earthquake that devastated the region in 1931. This architecture from the 1930’s is unique and can be explored on foot through the centre of Napier. A must see on any visit is the iconic facade of the National Tobacco Company Building.
- Visiting the gannet colony at Cape Kidnappers
- A walking tour through Napiers Art Deco architecture
- Having a meal at Craggy Range Vineyard
- Cycling the Hawkes Bay stretch of the New Zealand Wine Trail
- Take in the views from Te Mata peak