This is Heartland New Zealand at its best. The Manawatu is a stronghold of farming in New Zealand and is home to the student town of Palmerston North and the rugged beauty of the Manawatu Gorge and Ruahine Forest Park.
The Whanganui region has the Whanganui River at its heart. The river captures visitors’ imaginations and has particular spiritual importance to Maori. A planned journey down the river itself is a 5-day excursion and is one of the Department of Conservation’s Great Walks. The region is also home to a large community of artists making a visit to local museums and galleries a must. Whanganui is a designated motorhome town, encouraging self-drive visitors throughout the year.
- Visit Palmerston North’s New Zealand Rugby Museum
- Defy gravity at the Mokai Gravity Canyon
- Locate the Bridge to Nowhere in the Whanganui National Park
- Take a ride on the Durie Hill Elevator
- Paddle down the Whanganui river