It will always risk being eclipsed by the spectacular scenery of neighbouring Fiordland, but a drive around Southland will still unveil some dramatic scenery - rugged coastlines, green farmlands, and native forests. The Catlins are a treasure worth exploring, with hidden waterfalls, rocky coastal bays, and quiet estuaries. The isolated beaches are home to penguins, seals, sea lions, dolphins and whales and the forests are full of native birdlife. The main town in Southland, Invercargill, is worth a stop to experience some friendly southern hospitality along with a visit to Anderson Park Art Gallery and Queens Park.
- Sample the famous oysters of Bluff
- Spot wildlife while exploring the Catlins
- Tramp the Tuatapere Hump Ridge Track
- Fish for trout in the Mataura River
- Visit the Anderson Park Art Gallery in Invercargill