New Zealand’s capital city Wellington has been dubbed the coolest little city in the world by Lonely Planet. Spend a few days here and it is easy to see why: a compact city centre, home to Te Papa, the country’s national museum, great inner city beaches, gourmet food and drink and Peter Jackson’s Weta workshop.
Away from Wellington City, there are some lovely beaches along the Kapiti Coast. Kapiti Island, home to some of New Zealand’s most endangered birds, is worth a visit.
- Marvel at Te Papa Tongarewa Museum’s interactive displays
- Sip locally produced craft beer or coffee
- Take a trip on the cable car for views of the city
- Explore Weta workshop and Peter Jackson’s creations
- Wander the Wellington waterfront and Oriental Bay